Fort Carson’s original hospital was erected
in 1942 and was located between what is now Prussman Blvd. and
Woodfill Rd. It was made of cinderblock construction and painted
buff. The ward buildings were two stories, one ward per floor,
with a total of 24 buildings and 48 wards. The buildings were
connected with covered cement block corridors. The hospital was
designed for a normal bed capacity of 1,726 with an expansion
capacity to 2,000 beds.
In July 1942, the hospital was organized as
an Army Service Forces Station Hospital with a bed authorization
varying from 600-1,200, depending on fluctuations in troop
Service Forces Unit #5022 operated the hospital; the ASU number
was an administrative designation for the unit, but the
organization was nearly always referred to as US Army Hospital
Camp or Fort Carson.
In September 1944, it was activated as a
convalescent hospital. This facility and the station hospital
already in existence provided treatment for an average 4,500
patients. In January 1945, it was redesignated as the US Army
General Hospital, Camp Carson, and included a convalescent
hospital. The patient load gradually diminished and by April
1946, the general hospital and the convalescent hospital were
inactivated and the station hospital reestablished with a 400
In May 1946, the Veterans Administration
contracted for 100 of the station hospital’s beds. The need for
bed capacity decreased after the cessation of hostilities in
World War II, and by July 1947 the requirement for the Veterans
Administration contract beds was eliminated; the station
hospital was reduced to 100 authorized beds. This level remained
in effect from 1948-1949.
The bed capacity of the hospital was
increased to 400 because of the Korean conflict in July 1950. In
February 1951 it was designated a specialized treatment center
for orthopedic, psychiatric and neurological cases; and in early
1952 the additional mission of a specialized treatment center
for tuberculosis was added.
report mentions the attachment of the 807th Station Hospital
(300 Bed, CZ) from the reserves. The 807th was under the
operational control of the US Army Hospital and ran a
dispensary. Beginning with the 1955 report the 807th is no
longer mentioned and the 48th Field Hospital is mentioned as
attached, but only for training, not under the operational
control of the US Army Hospital.
The need for specialization gradually
diminished and only the mission of a Class I station hospital
existed by March 1, 1954.
1955 when the Army Medical Department was re-designated the Army
Medical Service (AMEDS) the Army Service Unit designation went
away. For a couple years records continued to mention "SU 5022"
but after that just AMEDS Activities, Fort Carson. In 1968 the
Army Medical Service was re-designated the Army Medical
Department and AMEDS Activities became Medical Department
Activities - MEDDACs. After the establishment of the Health
Services Command in 1973, the hospital unit was officially
re-designated as the
Medical Department Activity, Fort Carson, with its
Soldiers assigned to a Medical Company. HSC was eventually
reorganized to become the US Army Medical Command, and the
Western Regional Medical Command, was later established as an
intermediary command and control organization between the
USAMEDCOM and the USAMEDDAC, Fort Carson.
The USAMEDDAC, Fort Carson’s mission remained
the same until April 1968, when the hospital was given the
additional responsibility of providing care for Vietnam War
returnees. The bed capacity was increased to 340 Oct. 1, 1968.
The post-Vietnam drawdown saw doctor
shortages in the active force and fostered the routine use of
large numbers of civilian healthcare providers in Army medical
In 1970, planning began for the new Fort
Carson Hospital. It was dedicated June 5, 1986, and occupied in
July. Evans Army Community Hospital is named in honor of Spec.
Four Donald W. Evans Jr., a member of Company A, 2nd Battalion,
12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division. Evans was awarded
the Medal of Honor for action at Tri Tam, Republic of Vietnam,
where he gave his life while administering medical aid to his
The hospital is basically comprised of two
distinct buildings separated by a glass-covered common area or
atrium. The five-story tower on the north side of the hospital
houses all inpatient units, the operating suite, the
labor/delivery suite, nursery, radiology, emergency room and the
nutrition care division. The two-story clinic building contains
a family medicine clinic and other outpatient clinics. The
atrium, which provides the main entries into the hospital, also
houses patient services such as an outpatient pharmacy,
admissions and dispositions, the hospital treasurer, a gift shop
and a chapel.
Adjacent to the hospital is the Woods Soldier
Family Care Center.
This is named for
Pvt. 1st Class Eric P. Woods who served as a Combat
Medic with the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment and was
killed in action in July 2005 during combat operations in Iraq.
The WSFCC houses numerous outpatient medical clinics, outpatient
records, physical therapy, a family medicine clinic and a dental
USAMEDDAC also operates the Mountain Post Behavioral
Health Clinic, Robinson Family Medicine Clinic, five Embedded
Behavioral Health Teams/Clinics, the Warrior Recovery Center and
the Premier Army Health Clinic located in north-central Colorado
In 2007 the USAMEDCOM established a Fort
Carson Warrior Transition Battalion that comes under the command
and control of USAMEDDAC.
The USAMEDDAC currently employs about 2,300
military and civilian staff professionals who serve a population
of over 71,000 enrolled TRICARE beneficiaries from all military
services, Family members and retirees.
Every day USAMEDDAC supports about 3,500
outpatient visits, 41 inpatients, 6 births, 137 Emergency Room
visits, 21 operating room cases, and fills 2,806 prescriptions.
The hospital was first accredited by the
Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations in
October 1954. Subsequent surveys have reaffirmed the hospital's
full accreditation status.